Price includes free shipping.
Gorgeous Gien collection of blue and white faience
Gien began in a thriving medieval market town on the Loire River in the former monastery of Minim, in the 1820's. In the years following the French revolution, when churches and monasteries were closed, it was common to use monasteries as sites for factories. The original intent of Gien was to make English creamware, a soft-paste white porcelain. The Treaty of Vergennes (1786) placed confiscatory tariffs on French ceramics entering England but eliminated French tariffs on English products exported to France. The result was the collapse of the French ceramics industry until innovators such as Gien sought to make competing products in France and capitalise on the French taste for English designs.
Throughout the 19th Century Gien enjoyed tremendous success in reproducing designs such as those popular in the Renaissance. Since its beginning Gien also supplied the blue and white tiles used in the Paris Metro stations, many of which are still visible today.
Sent from the Château